Philmont 2012 a look back Day 7

Categories:Philmont 2012

Day 7:  We would be leaving our layover camp, which was a great time, and I was sad to leave it. Also, today, we had to hike to Wild Horse. It was by far the worst day climbing for me because I was finally starting to feel sore and we had to follow this really crappy trail all the way. The trail followed the fence almost all the way to Wild Horse. It was covered in rocks that jutted out from the ground. It was like they wanted us to bust a kneecap or something. Luckily, we all made it no problems apart from some very tired legs because the trail was a constant elevation change and very steep.

The weather was also very cloudy and I had this feeling that it was going to rain and it did. Then the feeling hit me like a freight train. I was going be wet and my boots were going to get wet and so on. But, my socks were never wet because of my boots and I’m so happy my brother, Adam, suggested them to me. They were great! The last stretch into camp was really bad. We had to stop at a little side camp because we had to pick up Dalton. No one was particularly happy about it but we all put up with it. We also were going to have to pump water for the hike up Mt. Phillips the next day but luckily the camp had a waterspout we filled up from.

We were also at our activity which was black powder shooting. This was a real treat because it was real black powder not just .22’s like at summer camp. I think we all hit our targets and had a great time! By this time Dalton was back with Rob and Ginette so we had to go meet them and continue on with our hike. I have to admit, we all tried hard to make it look like we were happy to see him but I tried to ignore the subject so we carried on.

After about an hour, Dalton was acting like he was going to puke because of the altitude but I think that he was just wanting a break because he was tired. The trail was getting muddy and Seth was having asthma problems so we stopped for a couple minutes to decide what to do. The adults decided to stay slow with Seth and Rob put me in charge. So at that point it was down to Michael, Robert, Ron, Jakob, and me. We trudged up the hill and then Ron’s asthma kicked in and he had to wait to go with the adults. Now it was just the 4 of us and we made it to camp approx. an hour later.

We came to some crossroads that weren’t on the map, but luckily we went the right way and made it right when it stopped raining. By the time we found a good camp it was right on top of the ridge and there was a great view. We put our tents on the ridge in the meadow and hung up our wet stuff on trees. By this time the adults, Ron, and Seth got to camp. Kyle set up a clothesline and we all dried out our stuff. He then did a foot check on everyone and he was quite impressed with how dry my feet were.I was quite surprised too honestly.

Seth and I went to pump water and after about 30 min it was getting really hard to pump so we tried to clean the filter. It didn’t help so we had no working water pumps now, just tablets. We then had a really peaceful meal and I was so relaxed but tired. It was my day to be leader and I had to take us up Mt. Phillips and I knew I would have to wake up early. It was really only 10 minutes earlier than normal.

Right after dinner Michael continued gaining a huge lead in fart baseball and I decided to go to the little bears tree and then we all went to our tents for bed. I thought I would have a hard time falling asleep at Philmont but you’re just so tired that u kinda just pass out without even thinking about it. What a day it was!

This is a continuation of my brothers trail diary of his Philmont Trip in the summer of 2012. To read all of the previous posts you can find them here:

Adam Nutting relishes being an avid backpacker, hiker, and all-around adventure junkie. While he currently spends his time hiking in the backcountry of southern Arizona, he grew up in Missouri, where he was naturally inclined to spend as much time as he could outdoors. Adam’s passion for the outdoors grew as he climbed the ranks of the Cub Scouts and the Boy Scouts, eventually attaining the rank of Eagle Scout.

Sign up for our Newsletter


Never miss an update! Subscribe to the Hiking The Trail Newsletter Now!